Your smile is one of your greatest assets!
Professional teeth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic dentistry treatments.
As we age, teeth become stained or discolored. Tobacco use and drinking dark liquids such as red wine, coffee, tea and soda can contribute to staining and discoloration. Even some prescription medications can cause yellowing or graying of the teeth. Many people consider teeth whitening when they start to notice a difference in the radiance of their smile.
Teeth whitening involves the placement of a whitening solution on the teeth to eliminate stains and discoloration that normally occur over time, and make them appear whiter.
While there are many over the counter options for teeth whitening, the most effective and safest teeth whitening systems are the professional strength ones available at the dentist’s office. A dental professional whitening system offers a higher concentration of whitening components and delivers them to the teeth in the most efficient manner to achieve optimal results.
At Montreal Family Dentistry you can choose either an in-office whitening procedure (ZOOM) or a professional take home system:
In-Office ZOOM! Whitening
One of the best options available is the professional, in-office teeth whitening, most commonly known as Zoom whitening. This is a 90 minutes office teeth-whitening session that allows patients to leave the office with a whiter, brighter smile–up to six shades lighter! Patients can enjoy music, and a cozy blanket while sitting back for their in-office whitening session. The Zoom teeth whitening process is very simple. We prepare your gums and lips, then paint the special Zoom teeth whitening gel onto your teeth. Then we shine a special laser onto the gel-coated teeth. We repeat this process three times. When you are done, you can see a dramatic difference in your smile.
Take-home Whitening System
At-home whitening kits are also available, affordable, and convenient. Home whitening provides gradual results one day at a time. In our office, we take impressions to make a custom-fit whitening tray. You will receive your tray along with a supply of whitening gel and instructions for home use. Gel is applied to teeth via your tray on a daily basis, whitening a little more with each application. Most people achieve the same result they would from in-office whitening after a week to ten days of daily wear.
What you need to know:
- Teeth whitening is not permanent. The longevity of teeth whitening will depend on eating habits. Tea, coffee, and smoking should be avoided as they stain and discolor teeth.
- A teeth whitening must be done on clean teeth. A professional cleaning must be done 2 weeks prior to the procedure.
- If you have cavities, gum infections, sensitive teeth or any other dental or oral problem, it should be first treated before undergoing teeth whitening.
- Teeth Whitening will not lighten fillings or artificial materials used in dental repair as for crowns, porcelain veneers, etc.
- You may want to wait to whiten if you have sensitive teeth, periodontal disease, or teeth with worn enamel.
- Teeth whitening is definitely contra-indicated if you’re pregnant or breast-feeding.
To learn more about professional teeth whitening and to set up your consultation at our office, please call us today.